This page includes free to read media and communication research. Research on journalism, media and news by the director of The Fourth Estate is collected here. You will find a series of academic papers and films, ranging from international reporting, to economics journalism and war and conflict reporting.
Book chapters and journal articles on media and communication research in, journalism studies and communication are free to download below.
Economics, austerity, and money
Professor Michael Chanan and Dr Lee Salter’s award-winning documentary about the Corportation of London was released in 2011. Secret City (UK, 2011), a investidated the shadowy City of London, the Corporation that runs it, and its role in the economic crisis.
- Uncovering the Secret City – shining light in dark corner in Tribune Magazine
Following the themes raised in Secret City, Chanan and Salter set about making Money Puzzles (UK, 2016), a research and documentary project looking at the narratives of money that underpinned the political response to the economic crisis that began in 2008:
- Reporting from Greece and published in Open Democracy, on the Greek experience of austerity: Live from Greece: Money Puzzles and the documenting of austerity
- Interview by Alex King for Huck Magazine on the myths of money and their underpinning of the narrative of austerity: Why everything you thought you knew on money, debt and austerity is wrong
- Journal article by Kay and Salter in Journalism: Framing the cuts: An analysis of the BBC’s discursive framing of the ConDem cuts agenda
- On the austerity discourse: ‘This is cloud cuckoo’: radical alternatives to public debt in Election Analysis
Radical Media and Social Movements
Democracy & Online News: Indymedia and the Limits of Participatory Media, Scan Journal of Media, Arts, Culture, 2006
The UWE Student Occupation, by Kay and Salter, Social Movement Studies, 2011
Emergent Social Movements in Online Media and States of Crisis: Analyzing the Potential for Resistance and Repression Online in Cyberactivism on the Participatory Web, Edited by Martha McCaughey, 2014. You can read the full version here.
Media Analysis and Ethics
An accompaniment to and explanation of the Documentary film about prison, Injustice published in the International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics, 2020. The piece explains how the documentary was developed around the principles of Third Cinema that Salter had developed with his film making partner Michael Chanan. It explains how, properly done, documentary film have offer adequate mediations outside the mainstream.
With Dr Dave Weltman, Dr Salter undertook analysis of the BBC’s reporting of the Bolivarian revolution in Venezuela. Researchers at the University of the West of England, UK, have exposed ongoing and systematic bias in the BBC’s news reporting on Venezuela. They analysed ten years of BBC reports on Venezuela from the first election of Hugo Chavez to the presidency, and their findings so far show that the BBC’s reporting falls short of its legal commitment to impartiality, truth and accuracy.
Class, nationalism and news: The BBC’s reporting of Hugo Chavez and the Bolivarian revolution, by Weltman and Salter in International Journal of Media & Cultural Politics, 2011
Related journalism is below
- The media’s misunderstanding of Venezuela in The New Statesman
- What’s going on in Venezuela? in Critical Legal Thinking
- A Decade of Propaganda? The BBC’s Reporting of Venezuela on Venezuelanalysis
- How the Western media is getting (almost) everything wrong about Venezuela in Ceasefire Magazine
Framing Glenn Greenwald: Hegemony and the NSA/GCHQ surveillance scandal in a news interview, International Journal of Media & Cultural Politics, 2015
Problems of news culture and truth: The BBC’s representation of the invasion of Iraq in Journal of War and Culture Studies, 2013
Public Relations and Journalism Research
Research into the relationship between journalism and public relations, by Dr Lee Salter, revolving around a Habermasian theoretical framework and utilising Alasdair MacIntyre’s notion of practices.
The Goods of Community? The Potential of Journalism as a Social Practice, Philosophy of Management, 2015
Journalism in the Academy, a MacIntyean account of the institutions and practices of journalism education in England, IC-Revista Cientifica de Informacion Y Comunicacion, 2012
The communicative structures of journalism and public relations Journalism 6(1):93–109, 2005
The internet, democracy and technology
Research into the forms of technology, their use and the impact of economy and governance on their development.
- Structure and Forms of Use, Information, Communication & Society, 2004
- Colonization tendencies in the development of the world wide web, New Media & Society, 2005
- Conflicting Forms of Use: The Potential of and Limits to the Use of the Internet as a Public Sphere, PhD Thesis, 2007
- Indymedia and the Law: Issues for Citizen Journalism, Citizen Journalism: Global Perspectives, 2009
- Digital Journalism (Janet Jones and Lee Salter, SAGE Publications Ltd; 1 edition (10 Nov. 2011))